Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Late to the Interview

I am very late to this interview meme. Back in May I told Vivian of DanielDoo that I'd like to participate, not dreaming that she'd ask such thought provoking questions. I'm afraid the words written hear do not relect the amount of time I've spent thinking about these issues, but here goes anyway:

1. What is your favorite memory?

My favorite memories revolve around camping, which is still a favorite activity of mine. When I was 12, my parents picked me up from Camp Sweeney in a new cabover camper. There ensued several years of great camping experiences. My family already owned a modest ski/fishing boat and I spent many a weekend waterskiing till my arms literally could not hold onto the rope handle any longer. Many an evening was spent with my Dad anchored off the point of a small Lake Texoma island fishing for Sand Bass.

Shortly after the camper’s purchase, we joined a camper club in Irving, TX where I grew up. Many of the families in the club had kids that I attended school with and we all became good friends. Every October the club went to Platt National Park in southern Oklahoma where the kids would hike up to a small cave we located, ride our bikes and just generally have loads of fun. Great times!

2. Who did you look up to as a child?

I looked up to my Uncle Sam (not the government icon), probably more than any one person. I was very blessed to have great, Godly parents and this is in no way an afront to them. My Uncle Sam was very a strong Christian man, very intelligent and a successful businessman. He always had thoughtful word and good advice. As a testiment to his life and character, I named my oldest son after him.

3. What is one thing you would like to accomplish in your lifetime?

See Uncle Sam number 2! In addition, I'd like to have a successful business.

4. What is the most important piece of advice you have given your boys?

I cannot think of one particular piece of advice stands out in my mind. I have tried to live a life of character, compassion, honesty and integrity before them with a liberal dose of respect, both toward women and their fellow man, thrown in. Of course, I’ve given them (and continue to do so) advice, guidance and discipline as needed (not necessarily in that order). At nineteen and twenty-one my job is nearing completion (I think) and I like what I see. My wife deserves as much if not more credit than I do in their upbringing and I would be remiss if I left out God’s hand of direction on their lives, which I very plainly see.

Our relationship is rapidly changing from one of parent-child to close friends. This is really neat to see and I very much enjoy their company. While they both still live at home I will very much miss them when they inevitably leave the nest and start lives and families of their own.

5. What has diabetes taught you?

Whoa, that’s a tough one. I think the old motto of Camp Sweeney says alot here. PFC - Perseverance, Faith and Courage (oddly coincident, this also stands for Proteins, Fats and Carbohydrates which the camp staff taught liberally).

Perseverance to keep on with the discipline of good control, which included testing (back in the day it was all urine testing), diet and medication. Overall I did OK with this and of course perseverance spills over into other aspects of life.

Faith that all this is not in vain and without purpose, but is an aspect of molding me into the individual God wants me to be. See Paul in II Cor 12:7-10.

Courage to face tomorrow no matter what challenges (or complications--hopefully not) it may bring.

One additional point, diabetes has taught me to be thankful for life. Everytime I read something similar to Shannon’s cousin Scott, first my empathy goes out to that person and secondly I’m doubly thankful for my own health. I realize there may be complications in my future, as complications can happen to individuals who are trying diligently to control their glucose levels. Regardless, life is good and I try to enjoy and make the best use of each day possible.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

Keith,
That was beautiful and well worth the wait. You have an incredible family and can tell you are very proud of them. Thank you for participating, I guess that is part of that perseverance. lol
Viv

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home