Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Day 61 - Woot!

Well, I had a nice post prepared last night and when I tried to 'publish', blogger lost it... grrrr! I've had this happen a couple of times lately, but all other times I've copied the post to the clipboard and had a recovery path. Anyway I wanted to give a quick update since it's been almost two weeks since my last post. Also, a quick shout out to johnboy for checking on my progress and to my neighbor vivian for her support... thanks friends!

In the quest for 100 continuous days of areobic exercise, yesterday was day 61. The good news is I've lost slightly over 2" in my waist. The discouraging news is it comes off pathetically slow. Now that I'm well into my 40's I miss those twenty-something days when a couple of weeks of serious exercise would yield some dramatic results. Oh, well. If your in that enviable age range, enjoy it. My attempts to hang onto it have been in vain, my sincere hope is that it won't slip through your grasp as well.

Now that the weather here in East Tennesse has turned absolutely gorgeous, I'm trying to run outside. My favorite path lies up the hill from my house where a 2.8 mile jogging trail wraps around the city's high school, middle school and civic complex. About half way around the trail is a hill I've affectionately named, Skateboard Hill because of the skate park that lies at its base. Skateboard Hill continues to defeat me in my quest to complete this almost 3 mile loop. Ever since we've lived here I have been unsuccessful. On a few occassions, I've made it to the top, but my heart rate was so dramatic I feared an explosion of nuclear proportions. On these occassions I've stopped running and walked till my heart rate returned to at least the three digit range and then began running again.

Again last Sunday I met with defeat. About half way up the hill I had a meltdown. I think with a little more training and some rockin' music on the mp3 player I can win this battle. My hope is to complete the loop while running, including the conquest of the infamous Skateboard Hill, by the middle of May. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Skateboard Hill is goin' down!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger George said...

Keep it up man that is awesome! You'll own that hill soon enough.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Thanks for the encouragement, George. Yes, I hope to own it soooon!!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Wow, 2 months went by already?

Keep it up...you're doing great!!!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Might I suggest some Newsboys (the rockin songs), Relient K and maybe even some Toby Mac and that hill is yours. =) I am soooo proud of you! You are doing an awesome job.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Keith, I'm very excited to hear this update...the streak and the 2" are great.

Yeah, twentysomething meltaway would be great, but this is real work that should provide a sense accomplishment of which you can truly be proud.

Keep it up...with the right training and music, you might just be able to make it up that hill. ;-)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Shannon:
How are you doing? I remember you started out on your own quest, hope your doing well even if you have to skip a day now and then!

Vivian:
Thanks for the music selection suggestions! My boys are Relient K fans so we have some of them around here. I'll have to check out iTunes for some Newsboys and Toby Mac. We do have some DC Talk that might substitute for some early Toby.

johnboy:
You're right, I need to be reveling in my accomplishment and not focusing so much on those twentysomething days. I was surveying the enemy (the hill) yesterday and I know this thing is do-able.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Thanks for asking...I've lost about 30 lbs altogether (since September) and weight loss continues without exercising.

Things have been topsy turvy, but I'm hoping to get biking soon. Elliptical is so tedious anymore.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Shannon:
That's absolutely awesome and it's great it continues without exercise!! Whatever your doing you need to bottle it and open a store!

I admit doing one thing all the time is tedious, that's one reason I alternate days on the treadmill and then the bike.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

This is super man! 2" is a lot of change - which you should feel very very good about. We're all proud as can be of you, and like JB you are an inspiration!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Scott:
Yes, 2" isn't bad I guess and I need to remember I didn't put it on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight.

Oh, gosh now you're making me blush! ;-)

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home