Wednesday, April 12, 2006

What a day!

The second week of every month is particularly challenging. Besides my weekly 7:30 Tuesday meeting, I have a 7:09 (go figure?) Chamber of Commerce breakfast on Wednesday and a 7:00 non-profit Board meeting on Thursday. These early meetings combined with my inability to get into bed before 11:00 or 11:30 at the earliest, mean by the end of the week I'm ready to shoot the alarm clock.

Yesterday, my quest for technology knowledge took me to the Carolina IT Professionals group in Charlotte for their monthly meeting. Charlotte is approximately 200 miles from my little burg. As I did a mental walk-through of the day's agenda, I could see it would be a tight squeeze to get in 30 minutes of exercise and keep the jb100 streak going. My plan was to exercise at noon, grab a quick lunch and leave the house at 1:00. OK, good plan.

My 7:30 meeting was over at 8:45. Just enought time to slide by the auto shop for my 9:00 brake appointment. As it always seems to go with these things, the car needed more work than originally anticipated. Diagnosis: I needed new rotors along with brake pads. By the time the new rotors and brake pads were delivered to the shop and installed, the clock was pushing 11:00, but good to know the car was in shape for the trip. One more stop before the treadmill.

Well, that stop also took longer than expected and I arrived home around 12:15... not enough time to jump on the treadmill for a half-hour and still get out the door on time. OK, I'll have to wing it. I managed to grab a bite, get packed and leave by 1:00.

Maybe it was those new brakes or the new tires I had installed on Monday, but the car flew. I was around Asheville in a little over an hour and headed east, changed highways in Hickory and arrived Gastonia at 4:00. Wow, remarkable time! I had been thinking about what to do for exercise when I spied a mall out of the corner of my eye. I thought, I've got plenty of time and just a short distance to my destination, I'll stop in the mall and walk for 30 minutes. So I did. I'm not crazy about being a mall walker but hey, it worked.

So one more day checked off on the jb100. I thought this would be close and I was right. I'm don't want to seem braggadocios but it does show what dedication to a cause can accomplish. I have to admit I'm a little surprised, but very pleased that I've now completed day 48. The only negative is since I wasn't in my workout shoes I now have a nice blister on the ball of my right foot. Not to worry though, I drained it when I arrived home and it appears to be healing fine.

I arrived at the Forest Hill Church at 5:30, right on time and stayed till 9:00. I must say it's very commendable that the church opens their facilities to an outside group like this and it was definately a very beautiful facility. Heard some super good speakers, it was well worth the trip.

Thank goodness for dark roast coffee as it's the only thing that helped me get home safely. Man, am I ever going to sleep good tonight!

3 Comments:

Blogger Johnboy said...

Keith, you are really driven to do this I can tell!

Last week, I had a similar set of challenges and didn't get it done. I had to leave on a 6:30am flight, and forgot to set the clock. Then my flight got me back home around 10. I was spent and hadn't seen my family all day.

Alas, my streak ended at 49.

This week, however, once again found me traveling. On Wednesday, I was able to get a workout in before my flight, worked until 11pm that night, then got up at 5am to prepare for an early morning flight. Instead of going right into the office on Thursday, though, when my plane landed at 10am, I went to work out...then headed into the office after lunch.

Current streak is 7.

Great job, Keith!

4:38 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Congrats Keith, what determination. Very Admirable. I hope all is going well for you on your side of the state. I am trying to keep it pinned down on this side. lol

12:47 PM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

OK, I'm up to 17 now (and I just figured out 173 of 176)...Keith, what's up...are you still streaking??

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home