Thursday, April 06, 2006

It Must Be Love!!!

Yesterday I received a very pleasant surprise. I was sitting at my desk, wrestling with a programming issue when in walked my sweetie with lunch. I was surprised on a couple of different fronts. A little surprised that I hadn't raised her ire as she had already asked me about my lunch plans a couple of times. Seeing how I was nearing completion of this specific task, I wanted to finish before munching. The second, because she brought my lunch to me. However pleasant, the real surprise was she told me exactly the number of carbohydrates on the plate.

She has always been very suportive of me and my diabetes, but I think this is the first time she's told me the exact carb count on the plate. Surely this is a direct result of the jb100, of which yesterday completed day 42. I think the moral of the story is this: when we are truly serious about taking care of ourselves, our loved ones will join in with us. As an additional bonus, when I returned from a 7:15 meeting this morning she was just completing her exercise video, so maybe I'm setting a good example as well.

On a humerous note, one evening last week my oldest son and I were sitting at the dinner table talking and looking over some printed material. My wife was across the room making some relatively diabetic friendly chocolate chip cookies. My son looked up from our conversation and said, "Mom, I believe I'll lick the beater". When I glanced her direction this is what I saw (Sorry about the pic quality). Wonder how much I'd have to bolus for this kitchen cleanup duty? Hey, maybe she knew the carb cout on this too but was just holding out!

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Great job Keith!

I think you're right - when you get serious about taking care of yourself, you set a good example, and it gets other people around you to take action too.

That was funny about the "lick the beater"!! hehe!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Your lucky to have a wife like her. I hope Riley finds someone one day who will get involved in his care also.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

As a wife, I can relate to this. My husband had lousy eating habits and even though I'd make healthy meals for him, he'd wind up eating crap in addition to what I made.

Soon I figured, why am I going through all of this work when he's not making an effort for himself and screwing up the hard work I'm doing.

Now he's lost weight, he works out daily, and I'm happy to participate in helping him with his new found health.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Hey, Keith. Way to go! Everyone deserves a treat now and then. :)

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home