Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Smiling --- well mostly?!


Monday I went by my endo's to drop off a couple of vials of blood. Yesterday was the big day... the results are in.

OK, I'm pleased, but not as jubilant as I wanted to be or thought I would be. I had hoped with all the exercise from the jb100 (today is day 78, btw) I was fully expecting (or hoping really hard) for a below 7 reading. Unfortunately it was just not to be. A 7.3 is all I could pull off. I guess this is OK considering my last couple have been in the 7.8 to 7.9 range, but I would really like to see this drop below 7... consistantly.

I think my problem is I refrain from using quite enough insulin. The reason I do this is my reluctance to gain weight. My main problem comes in the afternoons. Since I work from home I have easy access to the kitchen. I go into the kitchen to refill my coffee cup or tea glass and while I'm there I pick. Oh not much. Just 2-3, maybe 5 grams of carb. A pinch of this or a corner of that. Not really enough for a bolus or at least I think, but then my pre-dinner bG is a little high. Obviously I need to take care of this issue, either quite picking or pick and bolus for it. My NP recommended I raise my afternoon basal by .1, so I'll try that.

Also on the mixed results front, the jb100 helped me get my HDL up nicely. Unfortunately, my LDL is also up a little, so it's back on the statin for me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Glad for the update! I was thinking about you and and wondering how things were going.

78 days straight! Wow! Great job man - that's really something to be proud of - and much harder to do than one would think. A big "way to go" on that!!

With the A1C - that is still quite a drop - and as you said you are happy about that. I can understand the little hint of disappointment though.

It sounds like you have identified a likely suspect for it though - and that's half the battle right there. I bet if you tighten that down a bit, and continue on with the jb100, you'll be good as gold next time.

Glad to hear things are going mostly good for you. Are you Ok with going back on the statin? I'm on Lipitor myself, and don't have any bad feelings about it... but that's just me.

Catch you next time!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Scott:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The jb100 has indeed been tough. A couple of days I've found myself exercising after 11:00p... not that desirable.

I'm sorry to say the A1c is probably one of the lower ones I've had in my life. Not meaning to be discouraging, but my NP said it would be tough to get down below 7 and I believe it. And I thought it was tough getting a 7.3!

No, problem with the statin as long as I don't have side effects. For awhile I thought it was making me 'twitchy' at night and so I dropped it thinking exercise would resolve any cholesterol issues. Exercise does resolve alot of issues... just not cholesterol, at least for me.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

I am so excited for you and your achievements. I think that is an awesome A1C and the 78 days, well that is just amazing. Keep up the great work, you are such an inspiration.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Keith,

Vivian is spot on-- you are an inspiration.

And as Scott said, that was still quite a drop in the A1c-- you should be proud!

Well done!!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Ladies:
Thank you very much for the compliments. I don't feel like an inspiration. On the other hand, I do want the others coming along behind me to know they can do it.

Both of you are taking such good care of your little men that I'm positive it will and already is paying big dividends in their health. They don't realize today how fortunate they are to have Mom's like you. One day, however, they will come to that realization and they will be SO thankful for you.

BTW, an early Happy Mothers Day to you both!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Keith, what you are doing is awesome!

Try not to be discouraged by small improvements in numbers. Everything is heading in the right direction and you have momentum on your side.

One of the benefits that I realized was that the exercise really helped me get through serious stress rather well. Are you feeling that benefit as well?

About the statin...I had some elevated liver enzimes last time in and my endo pulled me off the statin as well. My cholesterol numbers were actually rediculously low...58 LDL/59 HDL...and that was at 4pm.

I've been off pravachol for 4 weeks and I was supposed to go back after 3 for a retest of all levels. Bad Johnboy.

Anyway, keep up the great work, Keith!!

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home