Saturday, February 25, 2006

T-minus 4 Days And Counting

Yesterday, I had a good workout on the treadmill. I try to walk at a 4 mph pace but this is ending up at about 3.7 to 3.8. I know this doesn't sound particularly fast but try it. I keeps you moving. About 15 minutes in, I kicked it up to 5 mph and ran (actually jogged is more like it) for 5 minutes until kicking it back down to a brisk walk (3.8) for the remaining 10 minutes and then tacked on a few cool down minutes for good measure.

I aggravated my left knee in college while trying to do too much too soon, after a several month running sabatical. It's never been quite the same and even now I feel it. It doesn't hurt but I know something is not quite right. I probably need to get this looked at in the future, but for now I'm going to try to keep it strong and back off when I sense it's becoming irritated. My left hamstring is still tight but seems to be getting better. My wife gave it a deep tissue massage earlier today and that helped too.

After my walk/jog, I came back upstairs and noticed I didn't feel quite right so I tested... 32. OK, this is aggravating. One of my goals is to lose a little weight around the mid-section, so feeding my insulin is not what I had in mind. I over did the correction slightly and had a 200 prior to going to bed. Bolused 3 units and this morning awoke at a good solid 83. I'm going so have to back down on the dinner bolus slightly and cut the pre/during/post-exercise basal rate back a little too. In spite of the hypo correction, I ended the day with a TDD of 34.1. I consider anything below a 39.9 good. It's all part of the learning curve to begin the 100 days.

6 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

You might remember my problem with the hypoglycemia gremlins interrupting my workout. It took me about a week to figure out my routine so I wouldn't go low. Mostly you just have to watch to see when you drop and when you go up, and then adjust accordingly. I never fail to drop 100 points during the first 15 minutes, drop another 10 during the second, and then bounce back up post-workout. It's kind of nuts and I *hate* eating for a work-out low because it seems counterproductive. But once you figure out the patterns, they'll go away.

And you'll be golden.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Keith, this has also happened to me occasionally. Hang in there and have something handy at all times during exercise just in case. Thirty-two is a really low reading and I'm sure you were probably feeling it drop during the routine, right? I think you will figure this one out.

It is so exciting to hear your progress. Regarding the knee, I would say just follow your instincts!

Look forward to reading more of your posts.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

All of this analyzing you have to do. I don't envy it. It's great to see that you're not letting it deter you from reaching your goals.

I'm a fan in your cheering section!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

allison--
Yes, I vividly remember your stuggles with the hypo vermin and I stongly ditto the '*hate* eating for a work-out' scenario. I don't think it will take too long to figure things out!

johnboy--
Oddly enough I didn't feel a thing until I got upstairs. I think I was focusing so strongly on the workout that I just didn't notice.

Last night I dropped my basal to half the normal rate for the work-out and was OK. As my sister-in-law is fond of saying, "... it's a process".

shannon--
I really don't mind all the analyzing as I'm sort of a 'numbers' guy anyway. It's also neat to see how far you've come and what it took to get there.

Thanks for the support... I'll take all the cheering I can get!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Great Job Keith!

It is frustrating to have to eat to chase the insulin. But, like others have said, you'll figure it out.

It's all trial and error, and sometimes it just takes a bit longer than we like to get it figured out.

I'm still goofing around with my basketball temp rates. Striving for perfection, but it can be very frustrating.

Again, great job!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Scott--
I empathize with you on finding the correct rate for basketball. I was playing some last year and was relatively unsuccessful due to the irregularity of play, some nights we'd play alot, others hardly at all due to the number of people who would show up to play.

I've cut my temp basal rate in half for 30 minutes prior to and during exercise, that seems to be about the right formula for now.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home