Friday, February 24, 2006

Another good ride

I had another good ride last night in preparation of the 100 day kickoff. I did a couple of minutes of light (60 rpm) spinning on 'Lo' resistance both before and after the main 30-minute workout. Gradually worked my way up to 'my' high setting (at 90 rpm) for 10 minutes before starting to gradually back the resistance down. My heart rate was strong and I was really sweating towards the end, both indicators of a good workout. Maybe later I'll invest in a heart rate monitor as I'd like to track this closely during my workout.

The value of exercise proves itself again as my morning bG was 79 even after a Mexican meal out last night. I don't know why exercise is such a struggle as it reinforces itself with good results.

Don't know what I'm going to do for riding/treadmill entertainment after the Olympics are over. I was hoping Irina Slutskaya would pull out a gold last night but it just didn't happen. Didn't seem like anyone but Arakawa could keep their bum off the ice, including out own top contender who smacked it once and then had to put her hands down a second time. I feel a particular empathy with Irina. She has been caring for her mother who has kidney disease and is on dialysis after her initial transplant failed. It's that diabetes/kidney link thing going on there. I'm so thankful mine are working well... especially after all these years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Keith-

It's great that you're already seeing benefits from the new exercise regimen.

Keep it up!

And, I know exactly what you mean about last night's Olympics-- while Joseph was cheering for Sasha Cohen (I think partly because he thought she was cute), I found myself pulling for Slutskaya (for exactly the reason you mention here).

I didn't have the heart to explain that reason to my son.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Sandra--
I can't begin to tell you the difference I'm seeing in bG readings, they're phenominal! I need to be doing a better job of charting as my cheapy meter doesn't have much of a memory.

I know what you mean about Joseph. When I was his age I always picked the cutest one to root for... and of course they had to be from America!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home