Tuesday, November 07, 2006

T1 begets T1

Did anyone catch the article in Sunday’s Parade Magazine by James Hirsch entitled, “What I wish for Garrett”? Mr. Hirsch is a T1D and before his eyes began noticing T1 onset symptoms in his 3 year old son, Garrett. This article succinctly captures what I think many parents of CWDs feel, as well as the hope for their children.

This has been one of my biggest fears for my boys; that I would pass on this genetic propensity and it would manifest itself in one of my offspring. While my youngest is a little person and as far as we can determine this is in no way connected with diabetes, they have been spared, at least so far, dealing with the beast of diabetes. They have passed the years where T1 typically manifests itself (statistically speaking) and while this is certainly no guarantee, I can only hope they have escaped permanent detection by this consuming monster.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith- I saw that article, the part when he tells about his sons first shot...that is tough. The book he wrote is next on my wishlist.

I am so glad that your boys are healthy. Autoimmune loves families and loves to pop up in different disease disguises. You are very blessed.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

I worry about it too - and we're all watching Sarah go through things with Gracie. It's so hard to watch.

Anyone had a chance to read the book yet? I'd like to pick it up and take a look...

4:54 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Vivian:
Yes I am very blessed and am so thankful that the autoimmune dragon seems to have struck noone but me.

My prayer's go out for you Vivian, I know you have your hands full.

Scott:
I too have been following Sarah's unfolding story... how painful. I know it's little comfort for Sarah, but at least she's catching this early before an permanent peripheral damage is caused.

Sorry guys, I haven't read his book yet either.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Bernard said...

There's a reasonably long review of this book here.

From the review, it looks like a good read. However I'm in the middle of about 6 other books right now, so it will have to wait.

I've got three birth children and three adoptive children. And I can tell you that I worry about this every day with all six children.

Thankfully it's not an issue at the moment - but I still worry.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's no fun, but it is manageable. I'm sure it will get harder before it gets easier. It opens the world right up

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home