Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The 12th Hole

Previously I’ve alluded to the fact that I’m on the board of the local chapter of a non-profit entity. This entity provides room and board for families with hospitalized children. If I wrote the name you’d recognize it, but I don’t want it popping up on a search engine so it’ll remain anonymous for the time being, but you get the idea and hey, the name doesn’t really matter anyway.

Yesterday we held our annual golf fundraiser. We rent what many consider to be the best golf course here in East Tennessee and then teams play for various donated prizes. We had 120 players and the entry fees go towards the operating budget of the entity. I couldn’t help with the event in the morning but I went out for the afternoon to ‘do my share’.

A car was to be given away to anyone who could make a hole-in-one at the 12th hole. So ‘my share’ was to stand at tee box of the 12th hole and make sure players teed up at the right spot so if they made a hole-in-one it would qualify and they would win the car. (Unfortunately noone won the car, but one guy did hit the flag!) I don’t play golf but it doesn’t take a pro golfer to note that this is a really beautiful place. In addition to the course quality the leaves are about peak here, adding to the awesome beauty.

I ended up being on the course about 5 hours yesterday afternoon, a good ways from the clubhouse and without test equipment or hypo treatment material. Before you panic let me say that my blood sugars aren’t as volatile as they once were and they tend to move in slower swings rather than volatile shock waves. I think this is the result of a low(er) carb diet and that I’m maturing (at least age wise). When I was younger small amounts of insulin used to have drastic effects. Now, even though I exercise daily, the net effect of insulin is less. Anyway as luck would have it I could feel myself getting low about 3 hours into my duty. Since I had no sweets on hand, I cut my basal rate in half and fortunately this seemed to do the trick. When I was able to test again I was 98 mg/dl.

On a similar (and maybe TMI) note, one of the hypo symptoms I’ve noticed lately is that my bladder fills just about the time I ‘feel’ the hypo. I’ve noticed this several times before and have been keeping a mental log to verify this symptom. I’m about 90% sure I’m right about this. I’ve never read or heard about anyone else having this symptom so I’m passing it along for anyones' edification that can use it.

The final two hours I ended up standing in a drizzle with a slight breeze from the northwest. I was pretty chilly when I finally got back to the clubhouse, but no worse for wear. Diabetically speaking though, I am going to have to start living up to the Boy Scout motto and “Be Prepared!”.

6 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Hi Keith!

Super job on heading off a hypo that needed attention! Way to go!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome that you did your part and worked through the low okay.

Your TMI is nothing compared to some of the others i have read out there. :)

3:06 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Scott:
I don't think this would have worked had I had alot of insulin onboard. This hypo was probably caused by a slight increase in activity over my normal routine. In retrospect I should have compensated for this, but I'd been running high all morning and thought I was OK. Since I was running on my standard basal rate my body was able to recover w/just a reduced basal.

I'm glad it worked... I might have been in a real pickle otherwise.

George:
I would not recommend this as standard operating procedure but I'm glad I recovered. It's about the only thing I could do at the time.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy you could avoid the hypo. I always enjoy hearing about other diabetics that heve had D for a long time and how D changes with time. I have had D for 45 years now and i am doing just fine. So you have noticed that you need more insulin, that you are less sensitive to each unit, as time goes by? I remain very sensitive. My total daily dose is only 14-15 units. This sounds nice, but the sensitivity to all elements insulin, exercise, tiny quantities of food can be quite a pain!

3:07 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Chrissie:
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I too enjoy hearing how other long time D's are doing. I feel very blessed that I've had it this long w/no complications.

Yes, my insulin requirements are creeping up in spite of the fact that I exercise daily. Most day's my TDD is in the low 40s. I'm really like it to be in the upper 30s. Part of the reason is I'm eating just a few more carbs than I should. However, because I exercise I've experienced no weight gain. I need to drop back to 120g of carb/day to reduce my insulin requirements.

FYI, my insulin/carb ratio is 1/10 and my correction ratio is 1.5/50 mg/dl > 100 mg/dl. My insulin/carb ratio has stayed fairly constant, but my correction ratio increased last year. All of this is based on daily exercise. If I don't do the exercise things get whacky in a hurry.

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Keith,

Well, you are all really quite a wonderful bunch here at OC! I have been reading these blogs for a while now and they really do help make one feel less lonely. Until I found out about D blogs I shared my D with no one - zero. Of course my husband lived through it with me, the poor guy, but still he does NOT HAVE IT! It is really nice sharing common experiences. Doctors are my pet peeve! I was originally educated at Joslin and their emphasis on self reliance has taken me a long way. My eyes are my only real complication, with lasers in both eyes and a vitrectomy in one. I still have my driver's license so my eye sight isn't that bad! I also have two stiff shoulders and just maybe gastroparesis. Kidneys and nerves doing just fine! I adore the pump, having had it now for 2 years. Nevertheless, just counting carbs is definitely not enough for me. Small amounts of proteins Do usually, but not always, significantly increase bg values 4-8 hours later...... This is very hard to plan for. My insulin/carb ratio os 1/9. Correction boluses are calculated on 1U will decrease me with 100mg/dl.However sith a high bg value it helps to get exercise and take the correction bolus. I find that while it takes 1U to decrease from 200 to 100mg/dl, I will probably need a bit more insulin to decrease from 300 to 200. No pump works this way. The same is true for me with food.

Exercise is essential b/c it keeps one sensitive to insulin? I am not into sports but I am very aactive all day. You know, the type that never uses escalators or elevators, etc. BUT, but ,but exercise also totally messes up my bg values. It is basicly the inconsistency that is so difficult. This is probably dependent on how many "new muscles" were used or how much was aerobic verus anaerobic, or something else...... For me exercise often cause a delayed increase in my bg. Lots of exercise a given week will cause late night hypos, probably b/c i get more insulin sensitive. But it is impossible to foresee exactly what will happen in a given circumstance.

Anyhow, thanks for your blog!

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home