Sunday, November 05, 2006

Faux Blind

If you’ve had diabetes any time at all you’ve probably thought about the possibility of complications. After all, that’s why we try to keep tight reign on our blood glucose levels in order to avoid potential nasty issues down the line. Over time I’ve tried to prepare myself for the possibility of complications even by going so far as visualizing and preparing a response. For instance, if, heaven forbid, I ever lost my eyesight I’d get the best seeing-eye dog I could and try to resume as normal a life as possible. I know it wouldn’t be easy but I think I could do it if I absolutely necessary.

On Tuesday I got an opportunity to experience my little scenario, in a more true to life fashion than I’d wished. Fortunately it was only temporary and non-D related. Somehow, after reading an article in the morning paper about the Google’s acquisition of Jotspot, I was in the process of folding the unruly paper back in shape and promptly stuck it in my eye… OK, don’t laugh… Well I have to admit it is somewhat funny. I have no idea how I did it either, but it was one of those things that made me sit back down in the chair for a moment and say, “Yyyeeeooowww… that REALLY hurt!!!” and it didn’t take long till I realized the pain was going to be with me for a while.

After several minutes passed and the pain subsided somewhat I went into my office to attempt to get some work done and realized the only way I could keep the pain down was to keep my right eye shut. This in itself is difficult as I am right eye dominant. After the pain went on for a while I surfed over to WebMD and searched on scratched cornea. The research yielded that a scratch would heal on it’s own in 24-48 hours… oh great!

To cut to the chase, I was pretty much useless the rest of the day. You probably know this, but if you move the open eye, the closed eye ‘eyeball’ moves along with it, so when I would move my left eye to see anything other than what I was absolutely straight ahead, the right eye would move, thereby being irritated and letting me know in no uncertain terms it was not a happy camper! A couple of times during the day, the pain got very intense and I would close both eyes and attempt to ‘feel’ my way around the house. This can really slow one's daily activities down. During these painful times, I re-realized just how absolutely thankful I am for my eyesight.

Thursday around noon we left the house to vote early. I had been doing much better on Thursday, particularly after a good night's sleep. It was while standing in line (an hour wait I might add) that the eye seemed like it healed. While it was ‘scratchey’ the rest of the day, I could keep both eyes open and function pretty normally. Thank Heaven!!!

This is one activity I hope I don’t repeat for awhile. Maybe it will help if I get all my news off the internet. At least then maybe I’ll be able to keep the monitor out of my eye!

5 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Oh goodness Keith!!

That must have been a very scary experience! I'm glad that it was relatively quickly resolved. I'm sure it felt like a long time, but it could have been worse I guess.

I guess that we should all be thankful for our eyesight, and even more so after that experience.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Keith,

Yup a scratch on the cornea is really, really painful. When Eric (my oldest son, now 31 but then only 2) was being toilet trained he by mistake stuck his finger in my eye. This happened in the middle of the night when I was taking him to the toilet. You were lucky that you did not have to go to the hospital. I did. If the scratch is really bad you cannot sleep b/c liquid builds up in the eye and pressure gets horrible. For me it took weeks to heal and medication was necessary. Furthermore the eye easily became irritated again and then the scratch would open up...... So don't rub you eye and give it special care for a while! It hurts like hell. Even several years later the scratch opened up again when I was given a laser treatment..... Now the scratch has properly healed, and I never have trouble, but I am always careful with my eyes. Contact lenses - I wouldn't think of it. I have been burned! Nothing is going into my eyes, if I can help it! So take care! I am really happy you came through this so easily! Gosh my knees get wobbily when I just think of your pain.....

10:24 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Scott:
It really wasn't so much scary as just a pain in the rump. I knew the scratch wasn't too bad as I had some periods of relief throughout the day.

Yes, I am VERY thankful for my eyesight... let's keep those A1C's in range!

Chrissie:
You're certainly right about the pain! I couldn't believe how debilitating it was. There were times I couldn't do anything but hold my eye... probably not the best thing to do.

I went to bed very early that evening and got a good night's rest. I think that did as much as anything to get it back in shape again.

6:19 AM  
Blogger mel said...

My brother threw a TV guide at me as a child. It scratched the cornea. I got to wear a pirate patch and miss school! :)

We can be thankful for times like these that remind us to be thankful for all that we do have and motivate us to keep working hard. It gets so tough. Good reminder for November-thankfulness!

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith,
My biggest fear besides drowning is going blind. I am so glad that all is ok. I must admit I giggled for just a minute though, the visual of the paper attacking you got to me and then the monitor in the eye...too much.lol I am glad you are all better and hope you do not have a fight with any other inanimate objects anytime soon.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home