Sunday, January 15, 2006

Tagged!

A couple of weeks ago I was tagged by Nicole. It's time I got up off my duff and responded so here goes:

Factoid #1

I'm a Sweeny Guy. Ok, there's alot of talk in the OC about the Barton Girls and their comeraderie, so I'm officially coming forth to declare the Camp Sweeny Guys! My first two years after dx I attended camp and had a blast. It also taught me to like vegetables, something I previously avoided like the plague. Camp sessions were three weeks long so I had plenty of time to make some good friends. Unfortunately, guys don't keep up with friends like the gals seem to do and I've lost track of everyone who attended camp at the same time.

Factoid #2

I'm working on a second degree in nursing. After picking up my first degree in Business years ago, the shortage of nurses and my interest in medicine prompted me to return to school for a BS in Nursing. For those that don't know a BSN (or even associates in Nursing for that matter) and an RN license can open a world of doors career wise. I made straight A's in my intial courses of Anatomy I & II, Physiology, and Microbiology and got accepted in Nursing school. I completed the first courses in the program and am currently taking a sabatical. I have two son's in college and with three of us attending school at the same time is was really tough on my wife, hence the time off. BTW, it's kind of neat to run into your kids on campus.

Factoid #3

My youngest son, T, is a little person. For those of you unfamiliar with little people they are officially defined as anyone under 4'6" tall... my son, now fully grown, stands 4'3". Little person is the polite (and politically correct) term used to describe anyone with dwarfism; he has the most common type, achondroplasia. People with achrondroplasia have a normal sized torso and shortened forelimbs. He has life by the horns and last semester made a 3.4 gpa. He is one of my heros!

Factoid #4

My oldest son is 6'3". I guess this, in itself, is really no big deal, but combined with Factoid #3 you can see I have either David and Goliath or Mutt and Jeff at my house depending on how you look at it. His name is Sam. He and 'T' are really good friends and video gaming buds. Sam has a gpa of 3.8 and occasionally likes to come thru the house and just pick me up for the heck of it. We have a pretty tight family.

Factoid #5

Like several others here on the OC, I married my best friend. I managed to snag an awesome little lady from West Virginia. She is beautiful inside and out and I revel in her accomplishments. She is incredibly intelligent, intuitive, fearless and best of all fiesty. When awards are passed out in heaven you can tell who I am... I'll be the one in the back shouting, "Woohoo ... Allright ... Way To Go Girl!!!!".


That's all for my five random factoids. I'm a relative newbie to the blogging world and the OC so I don't know anyone who hasn't yet been tagged but, as always, be sure to read the fine print.

I reserve the right to tag anyone who, I discover, has not been tagged. I am not waiving this right. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law. You have been warned!

Update: Kathleen, has been overlooked and graciously tagged herself. Go check out her blog Living with Diabetes.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll help, for some reason, I've been missed.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Sorry Kathleen, didn't know you'd been overlooked. Thanks for jumping in and helping me out!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Cool facts Keith, thanks for sharing. It sounds like your family is really neat.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Excellent post Keith! That's great that you are back in school. I'm planning to go back, maybe once my kids grow up (they're 6 & 3 right now, and need me at home). I'm interested in Exercise Physiology, especially in how it relates to diabetes.

I bet it would be neat to run into your kids on campus!

Keep up the blogging - I check back regularly!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Barton Girls are all over the place here. I had never heard of Camp Sweeny. But the website looks very cool.

The co-ed thing is a nice touch, too. At Clara Barton, we had to wait for those Joslin Camp dances in order to get out 8 year old grooves on.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Yes! Another non-Barton-er. I attended Gales Creek Camp (GCC) in Forest Grove, Oregon for five years and am madly in love with the place. Camp rules!

Thanks for your little note tonight on AIM. I appreciate it. I'm sure I will talk to you soon.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

Yay, Keith. I'm so pleased to read your facts.

Camp Sweeny's site looks really cool. Camp -- whether it's Barton or Joslin or Sweeny -- just means the world to a kid who feels they're facing diabetes alone.

It sounds like you have two very smart, very strong sons -- they take after both their dad -- and (from your description) their mom.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Kassie said...

awesome post!

Now that you've declared yourself as a Sweeney Guy, they'll start comin' out of the woodwork. The funny thing about the Barton girls and the O.C. is that we are all from different times and, though I remember a few of them, it's the O.C. that brought us back together! So you never know...

6:31 AM  
Blogger HVS said...

Cool blog, Keith. How much further do you have towards completion of your BS?
Wish I could've gone to a D camp..someday maybe I'll volunteer.(next best thing, I reckon)
Heidi

2:08 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Megan--
Thanks, I really feel blessed!

Scott--
I agree, your at a tough time in your life to go back to school and I think those little knee bangers need Dad at home if at all possible. The Exercise Physiology sounds great. As diabetics we really have a wealth of health knowledge just as a byproduct of learning about our condition. I found I had an edge on many of my classmates just because of this.

Kerri--
At 11, a dance would have scared me to death! We didn't have special social activities, just played volleyball and basketball after dinner and of course we were in our various sessions together throughout the day. Then again a dance might have been a great thing-- hey, camp taught me to eat vegetables!!!

Allison--
Yes camp rules! Had some great times!!

I'll hollar at you on AIM again soon. Have a great semester!

Nicole--
Thanks for the tag! I never really felt I was alone with diabetes, in fact, I'm not sure I ever thought about it. I did enjoy the camp experience... especially when we caught the tarantula out back of our cabin! The counselor made us let it go after a couple of hours. Too bad, it would have made a great cabin mascot!

Yeah, my boys got the best of both of us.

Kassie--
I agree with you, I think someone will come out of the woodwork soon. In addition, I went by their site and left my contact information. Sweeny had a reunion last year. I didn't know about it and missed it. Hopefully, they will contact me next time so I can join in the celebration.

type1emt--
I have 4 HARD semesters ahead to finish. It would mean basically checking out of the family for awhile and I just can't afford to do that now... one of the reasons for my sabatical.

Camps are always needing good volunteers. I bet you would have almost as much fun now as if you had gone when you were younger!

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home