Sunday, February 19, 2006

100 Days

Today I'm inspired by a combination of Elizabeth's post on The Tipping Point and John Boy's 100 Days. After the Christmas holiday's I typically go through a several weeks where my blood sugars swing erratically. There's no big secret to this, it has to do with the fact that I've been off the exercise routine for too long. This year I managed to come through Christmas pretty much unscathed food wise. We kept most of the junk out of the house and if it's not here then I don't eat it and that's good.

Exericse is another issue altogether. Exercise does more to stabilize my bG's more than any other factor, but probably the one I wrestle with the most. While insulin and diet are important and not to be discounted, exercise, at least for me, covers a myriad of sins. I've been off a regular exercise program since late fall, when all the mowing, raking and various outside activites drew to a close. (I count those things as exercise as it has the same effect, if done with enough vigor.)

When I read Elizabeth's post on The Tipping Point I knew my aggravation with swinging bG's had just about reached critical mass. Critical mass defined as the point when I finally get off my keester and go down to the basement for my date with the bike. The bike is my old road bike set up on a stationary trainer. Thirty minutes on it can make me sweat like a marathon runner on a Texas summer day. Not only does it give me a great workout, but for the next 48 hours the blood sugars tend to be good, unless I do something dumb like hit the chocolate donuts at Krispy Kreme (which rarely happens).

Another event adding to critical mass is that my clothes are not fitting as well as they once did. If I buy the next larger size then I'll just unwittingly allow myself to get a little larger in the comfort of new clothes. By refusing to buy a larger size then the snug fit serves as a constant reminder that something needs to be done.

Enter John Boy's 100 Day post. When I read this it struck a chord with me that resounded with action. 100 days of consistant 30 minute per day areobic exercise will certainly do what I need it to do: stabilize my bGs, lower my A1C, drop about 7 pounds, decrease my girth and increase my cardio-vascular fitness. Best of all it's do-able.

My plan is to start the 100 Day's on March 1st. I would have already started but I've been away long enough that I'm having to work up to it. I exercised two days, two weeks ago, three times last week and I'll go either 4 or 5 times this week. I'll be pushing it on March 1st, but I should be OK.

I hope you'll join John Boy and myself. It won't be easy, I know it will require staying up late some nights or rising way too early some mornings to accomplish the goal. If, however, it does what I think it will do then it will be worth it.

14 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Hi Keith!

I too am inspired by johnboy and his very admirable exercise streak!

And like you, I'm surprised at how well things "fall into place" when I can get that exercise piece involved.

I am getting some great exercise a couple days of the week (playing basketball at the YMCA), but I need something more consistant through the rest of the week.

I even bought a really nice treadmill earlier this year, but haven't used it very much. I'm just full of excuses most of the time.

So, March 1 is the day! Count me in!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I'm joining too. I figured it would make a great example for Brendon to follow. Plus I could stand to lose some weight.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Gosh, thanks for the reference, Keith.

By the way, I have added you to my regular links section (now that I have figured out what was causing it to dysfunction) and also my bloglines list so I can follow your progress.

I really don't know what to say about being motivating to you in getting started. What is motivating to me is not to be alone in the persuit.

To you, to Scott and Shannon (and whoever else is in on this), let's please share our progress with each other as we move forward. That would be very satisfying.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Best of luck to you, Keith (and everyone else that is doing this.)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Scott--
It's great your joining! I think something like this could be one of the most beneficial things we do in the OC. The encouragement we give one another will not only improve our immediate health but show us what can be done if we set our minds to it.

Shannon--
While my original intent was not this altruistic, it will be good that I set an example for my family too. Thanks for coming along on the journey, I think we will all benefit!

johnboy--
Thanks for the well wishes and again for the inspiration. Yes, I will post my progress. So far this week I'm on track -- on the bike last night, treadmill tonight.

penny--
Thanks for the well wishes!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Snouffer said...

Thank you for the link Keith...

I am, in fact, in a Tipping Point zone currently! My new work project as an agency team leader (advertising) is putting the squeeze on me and between responsibility to family, work and basic necessities (hygiene for example!)-- I can't fit it all in! I am over-committed, but will think deeply about the 100 days "program" ... I know it would help!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Elizabeth--
Your welcome... thank you for the inspiration. Hope things calm down in your work arena soon!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Kelsey said...

I'm sitting here thinking, how can I swing this?! I currently work out 3-4 days a week at 5 a.m. (I'm working full time and finishing my MA in history, so time is very hard to come by) but... if I did 30 minutes on the treadmill or stationary bike on the nights I have class, that would count, right?! I'm realizing how much I need exercise especially when I'm trying to maintain such a hectic schedule!

Count me in!! I love the idea of having the motivation that we're all in this together :)

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site...
Complement toric contact lenses Toric contact lens brands Buy color contact lenses dr prescription buy the contact lenses from underworld evolution http://www.baseball-betting-3.info/provigilonlinediscount.html cheap custom contact lenses for halloween Draper vacuum cleaner 1300w panda antivirus software boston real estate Crane  replacement washers plumbing parts purevision contact lens uk cheap Keno reeves video keno 4.0.0 colored contact coopervision lens Contact eye in lenses lost

6:13 AM  
Blogger k2 said...

I may just have to hop aboard the 100 days bandwagon. march 1st sounds like a good plan - count me in!

First time on your blog and it's great!

Kelly K

1:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You may be interested in my new book, How Sweet It Is: Living and Learning from Diabetes. It examines the illness from a multi-dimensional perspective - namely the physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual worlds. I can be reached at dreamguru36@gmail.com. The book is available online through Ingram.

6:36 PM  
Blogger شركة الماسة said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:31 PM  
Blogger شركة الماسة said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow Creation is the process to change the color of an image or video..Shadow Creation It means correcting the lighting, white color balance, red or blue color balance, so that the image looks more clear or natural

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home