Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Sago Mine Explosion

I'm saddened today by the Sago mine explosion in Tallmansville, WV. My wife and I both have coal mining in our lineage and even in the best of situations it's a dangerous business. The great number of S&S (Serious and Significant) citations this mine has incurred certainly makes me suspect that this could have been avoided. Regardless, let's not forget that these are real families trying desperately to hang onto hope in the face of ever worsening odds. They will be utterly crushed if their friend, brother, husband or father does not come out alive. If your a person of faith I'd ask that you join me in petitioning God to save the lives of these brave men and that He would comfort their families.

4 Comments:

Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

I've already said a prayer for these men and their families, but I will continue to do so. I can't imagine having my husband in there and not knowing if he was dead or alive.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

The latest is that one survived. A major tragedy for the families aside from the deaths is that they were told that all survived except one.

This will be in the headlines for some time.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

This is a terrible tragedy. I'll keep these men, and their families, in my thoughts.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

penny--if the roles were reversed I too would be distraught over the uncertainty of knowing my wifes whereabouts.

shannon--yes, I heard that too. I stayed up till 2 this morning and went to bed thinking 12 were alive. When the alarm kicked on first thing this morning the bad news greeted me and I bolted for the TV to find out more. Surely this could have been handled better.

nicole--i'm sure the families appreciate it, they need all the help they can get.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home