Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Courage To Forgive

What does it take to forgive someone? … or, for that matter, for someone to forgive you?

Does a person have to ask for forgiveness? ‘Of course’, you say and I think you would be right. If someone truly seeks our forgiveness they will come and ask us to forgive them. The Bible even says, “If we confess our sins, he [God] is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

You would probably add, the person needs to have a repentant attitude and again I think you would be right. I’m not inclined to forgive someone if I don’t see some outward reflection that makes me think they are sincerely sorry. If they just turn around and intentionally commit the same act again I have to wonder if they were sorry at all or just playing a game.

Enter on the scene the latest public display of non-forgiveness – Imus. I don’t want to get into his remark… it was thoughtless. Yet, he has done both of the above: 1) he has asked for forgiveness and 2) he is sincerely sorry. Many still seem not to forgive him. It would be different if he lived a life of contempt and discrimination, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. I don’t know (or want to know) the intimate details of his personal life, but I would guess that under the veneer he is a regular guy filled with most of the foibles that regular people have. Yet because of a careless remark, sponsors are jumping ship right and left and kowtowing to the whiners.

Wouldn’t it be a nice change hear sponsors say, ‘You know, we all let our mouth get a little ahead of our brain occasionally, and this guy seems to be sincerely sorry. He has been good for our products and just because he had a brain failure, we’re going to give him another chance’, and stick with him.’

My what a courageous and refreshing change that would be.

10 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I agree with you.

I was watching one of those cable news programs where the host was debating with Al Sharpton about this (which is a joke that he is a spokesperson for the black community considering his Tawanda Brawley days). And the host brought up the subject of rap stars dissing women in their songs, using worse wording than Imus, and their use of the "n" word.

Al didn't think the rap stars should be fired the way he was calling Imus to be.

It's sort of like vegetarians who decry eating meat while wearing leather.

If a person is going to take a stance....make it across the board.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Keith, I do believe in forgiveness, but I stopped listening to that crap like that on the radio long ago. As a kid, I used to love to be shocked. Somehow, people who need to be offensive to be funny just don't appeal to me much any more.

I guess what this really is about now is using the Imus example to advance African American presence in media and society, and maybe that's okay, you know? It's kind of ironic, but this gaff could actually help their cause.

All the politics aside, I have to tell you that I am already sick of hearing about it, and sick of seeing his face on TV every day, too.

Hey, I hope you are doing well. It's been a long time!

Peace,
J.B.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Shannon, the hypocrisy of this whole ordeal is sickening.

johnboy, yea I don't listen to this talk show stuff either but I think Imus got a bum rap. I hope he can bounce back and land on his feet.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am doing a report on the courage to forgive, can somebody please help me understand what that means?

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA! Hey, anonymous! I believe we have the same ortorical contest topic. ^

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My oratorical speech topic that I have to write a speech on is "the courage to forgive." This entry was very helpful. I appreciate it a lot! I also agree with you.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this what you did you really helped me with my oaritoricle and i am only in the 5th grade anyways thank you!!!

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much! this page was a big help for my oratorical speech!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have the same topic also, and it's due today. I still have to start.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home