Friday, February 09, 2007

Raw

My nerves are raw this morning and I just can’t seem to settle them.

A young lady at our church was involved in a severe car accident yesterday afternoon. She was on one of the many two lane roads in our area when her tires slipped off the right side of the road. Being a young driver she over-corrected and her car crossed lanes and slid sideways into the path of an oncoming Dodge Truck. She suffered many injuries but the worse was the head-trauma.

I received a call just after dinner and went to the hospital shortly thereafter to pray and visit with the family. Even though the prognosis wasn’t good I felt in my soul that things would be OK.

Neither my wife or I could sleep well last night. She confided in me this morning that every time she awoke she would pray for this girl. Little did she know I was doing the same thing.

Unfortunately, this young lady passed away about 8:00 this morning. I went back to the hospital to console the family. The Dad, at least on the surface, appears to be doing OK. The Mom, as you would expect, not so good.

Having kids just a couple of years older, makes this all the more painful and real to me. If I had to walk this out in my own life, I could do it but it would be O’ so excruciatingly agonizing. As individuals and as a church we’ll help the family get though this... and they will. It’s just that my heart hurts so bad for them right now.

Today, in particular, I wish I could rewrite the rule book:

Rule 1: Parents do not bury their children!

7 Comments:

Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Keith,

I will be praying for this family. I can't imagine anything more horrible than to bury your own child.

A 16 year old boy who lives around here commited suicide last night. I didn't know him, but I can't imagine how his family must feel. I've been praying for them too.

There's way too much saddness in this world.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Penny:

Thank you for your prayers. I appreciate them and I know they will too.

I've had some close relatives commit suicide and I can testify it is no picnic. I will add this family to my prayer list.

I agree... way too much sadness.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Wow Keith - I'm sorry to hear that.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and her family too.

2:16 PM  
Blogger George said...

Keith,

My heart goes out to that family. I will be praying for them and for you and all who are consoling them.

I have had to experience Suicide, Deterioration, Sudden Death, Murder, and Accidental Death and each one has its own unique sting. I feel for Penny's neighbors family and will pray for them also.

Thank God for your church family.

2:25 PM  
Blogger art-sweet said...

Keith - You and your community will be in my thoughts. I'm glad this family has you in their lives.

4:47 PM  
Blogger If not a mother... said...

Will be thinking of you and your family and her family and all of your church members. definitely.

during this time of year (early February), I have two raw deaths still in my mind (one accidental and one related to cancer), so this is particularly painful.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of such a young life. My oldest starts learning to drive this year and it scares me beyond belief. I hope you are finding some peace and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home