Monday, February 05, 2007

Rumors Of My Death

To quote Mark Twain, “The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated”! Thanks for those who’ve checked on me (esp, Allison and Vivian). It’s nice to know you’re part of a community where people care about each other even though very few of us have ever met face to face.

Sorry I’ve been away so long. I’ve picked up a couple of new responsibilities this year and they’ve taken a fair amount of my time. As you read my blog you don’t have to dig very deep to guess that we’re heavily involved in our church. Specifically, two years ago I was elected as a deacon for my second term since at this church. Last year I was elected Vice-chairman and this year I’m serving as Chairman of that 10 member team. We have a church body with about 700 in attendance on Sunday morning. Deacons are servants at our church, we visit the sick and shut-ins and deal with benevolence issues, administer communion and several other tasks. It’s basically a cool job and I enjoy ministering and helping people.

By Chairing the Deacons I’m also by default on the Board of Directors. The board has been wrestling with an important theological issue that I inherited when my term took effect Jan 1. The board has met several times and exchanged countless emails trying to come to some sort of resolution. We’ve all lost sleep over the issue and last Friday I fasted and prayed, petitioning the Almighty for an amicable resolution. Yesterday, after a 3 plus hour meeting, I believe we reached that resolution. We have one more meeting later in the week and a church business meeting next Sunday (where it could rear its head) and then I believe we will be done. Hallelujah!

On another subject, after Christmas we spent three days with my wife’s sister and her husband in Garland, TX. Even though the weather was nice, except for the first day, I fell off the exercise wagon. The good news is two-fold: one, my left hamstring which had been bothering me since I started continually exercising back in Feb ’06 healed and is a problem no more and secondly, I climbed back on the wagon immediately upon returning home. I guess I’ve become a little OCD about exercising, but it has really helped my overall control. However, it’s still not where I would like it to be.

I probably won’t get to post tomorrow, but it is the day I officially celebrate my 38th anniversary with diabetes. All is well on that front or at least as well as can be expected. At some point I’d really like to have a CGMS to tighten my contol. Things are going to have to change on the monetary front before that will happen.

Peace and love to you all.

10 Comments:

Blogger George said...

Hooray! I am always happy to see you have a new post Keith.

First off, Kudos to you on 38 years of living with the D. You are an inspiration to me and I would bet many more.

I love being a part of my church and leading the band there. It is a blessing to be a blessing and when you serve, that is exactly what you are, a blessing.

I hope all the "issues" get taken care of soon. I am confidant it will, in His time of course. Thats the tough part.

Take care Keith! We Missed ya!

8:22 AM  
Blogger mel said...

38 years!!! Wow. Good job.

I am also involved at my church and I am always glad to see others who are. Growing up I never met another PWD who was involved with their church. Now, I know quite a few (yay, OC!)

Church politics and theology can be tricky! I truly hope for their resolution for you.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Keith!! You really are among the living. lol Congrats on your D-aversary! You are really an inspiration in all that you do. The church is very blessed to have a person like you in a leadership role. I did not get a chance to send your son a happy birthday, he did have a birthday at the end of January correct? Any how big hugs to your whole family and I hope you are staying warm. This weather is just crazy. My kids are still out of school. Hope you have an awesome week.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Glad to hear you aren't dead (just your islets).

10:00 AM  
Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Welcome back, Keith!! I'm glad to know that all is well.

And, happy D day! 38 years and counting.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, 38 years of D! Church is important to me too, Keith, although I can’t say I am very involved. At this point we just started going back after a year off, at my son’s insistence. It is good to see that being a part of the church brings you happiness.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Bernard said...

Welcome back Keith, and congratulations on the 38-year d-anniversary tomorrow.

I know you want to aim for the 75-year medal, but aren't you going to get the 50-year medal on the way?

11:33 AM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Keith! Great to hear from you!

38 Years! Wow - you have seen some changes in your time haven't you!

Glad to hear that your hammy is not bugging you anymore - sometimes a little rest is a perfect prescription.

Take care!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Hey Stranger!

I've seen you comment here and there, and I keep checking your blog to see if you've posted...and you have!

Congrats on your D-versary and to all the years of good health!

It's good to read that all is well and that you're still exercising.

I'm still chugging along with the exercise too. Just gotta get a grip on my eating. It's no fun to workout and not see the scale budge (but at least it's not going up!)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said...

Glad you are back blogging Keith! Also congrats on the 38th anniversary!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home