Saturday, December 16, 2006

Sign Of The Times

Thursday I had a half-day board meeting for the local non-profit entity I serve. One of my fellow board members works for a nationwide credit card firm whose telemarketing center is located right up the road and he was nice to procure a large state-of-the-art conference room for us to use.

While visiting the men's room at this facility I noticed half-full Sharp's container mounted on the wall. Upon closer inspection I saw it was filled with disposable insulin pen needles and assorted used test strips. This came as somewhat of a shock to me. I don't think I've heard of a non-medical related firm that makes these containers available to their employees. It makes me wonder does this firm employ an above average number of PWDs or is this somehow representative of the population as a whole? Maybe East TN has an above average population of PWDs... I don't know.

Overall we have a hard working demographic, but standing at the entrance to Wal-Mart for a few minutes you can tell most folks here aren't going to win a twiggy look alike contest. On the other hand I think this is true for most of America.

Regardless it's nice that this firm provides Sharps containers for its employees. In the past there have been many days I carried around a used syringe in my pocket or I broke off the needle, put the needle back in the cap and put the cap back on the syringe before throwing the whole assembly in the trash. It would have been nice to dispose my syringes in a legitimate fashion... at least while at work.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger If not a mother... said...

I've noticed in the past 2-3 years that airports around the country have them available, too. definitely sign of the times.

9:13 PM  
Blogger George said...

That is very good. I wish Sharps containers were more readly available everywhere. That is good to know.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

By going on the pump and using the multiclix lancing device, I've pretty much eliminated the need for sharps. However, the other day i was at the hospital for school and had to refill my reservoir. I instinctively dropped the used needle back in to my purse, then thought, "oh wait, there's sharps containers everywhere here." It was kinda nice.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I work at a manufacturing facility and they provide sharps containers.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've seen them at an outlet mall in Michigan City, Indiana. It gave me a little thrill.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

I think it is great to see them around more!

I too also get a kick out of seeing other diabetic stuff out in public. It somehow makes you feel that much less isolated you know?

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting info - I've never heard of that in the UK, in fact I don't think I've ever seen sharps disposal anywhere else than in our home or doctors surgery.

Wonder if it'll catch on over here ?

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home